- General Event Information
- Music Line-up
- Restaurant Menu Information
- Free Mussel Cooking Demonstrations
- Photo Competition
- Thanks to our Sponsors
- Mussel Festival FAQ’s
When: Saturday 12 March 12pm-10pm & Sunday 13 March 12pm-8pm
Price: Free entry, music and entertainment
Address: South Melbourne Market, Cecil Street
Getting there: Walk, drive or catch the 96 or 12 Tram to South Melbourne (more details)
Complete with mussels, music and merrymaking, this is one seafood street party you don’t want to miss.
Spend the day in the sun with friends and family, feasting, drinking, dancing and celebrating seafood, all to the sounds of Melbourne’s hottest jazz.
Over the weekend expect a great mussel cook up from iconic Melbourne chefs, plus street peddlers, the sounds of Bourbon Street, a little bit of calypso and great local wines.
Think sangria and piping hot mussel paella, wok cooked drunken mussels and craft beer, mussels cooked in Bia Ha Noi with a crisp white wine, and artisanal ice cream and fun for the kids.
This is a major event in the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival calendar, and we have some of the region’s top chefs and restaurants taking part each year including Dandelion, St Ali, Acland Street Cantina and The Grosvenor Hotel, as well as our own South Melbourne Market restaurants Claypots Evening Star, Paco y Lola, Köy and Simply Spanish.
Other activities during the Festival:
- Roaming performers: Sat & Sun 12-3pm
- Live jazz in the Market: Sat & Sun 12-3pm
- Kids Free face painting: Sat & Sun 12-4pm
- Body Builders Display with ANB Australia: Sat & Sun 2-3pm
- Kids Community Mural Workshop: Sat & Sun 12-5pm
Want to see how much fun you’ll have:
2015 Jazz Flash Mob:
At our 2015 Mussel Festival we surprised our Market shoppers with a jazz flash mob starting in the Food Hall, with upwards of 30 musicians jamming their way through the Market.
Take a look here:
A HUGE part of the Mussel Festival is the live music, and it has not become one of Melbourne’s biggest FREE Jazz festivals.
Sit back and listen to some of Melbourne’s best jazz including:
Saturday- Main Ruby Gils Stage
12:00-1:40 – Margie Lou Dyer
2:00-3:40 – Paul Williamson Hammond Combo
4:00-5:40 – Happy House
6:00-7:40 – Pearly Shells
8:00-10:00 – Jazz Party
Saturday Acoustic Stage (approx times only)
12:00-2:20 – Coby Grant
2:30-4:50 – Sim Martin Duo
5:00-7:30 – Road House Romeos
Sunday – Main Ruby Gils Stage
12:00-1:40 – Paul Williamson Hammond Combo
2:00-3:40 – Margie Lou Dyer
4:00-5:40 –Pearly Shells
6:00-8:00 – Horns of Leroy
Sunday Acoustic Stage (approx times only)
12:30-2:50 – Tiggy (Fem Belling Trio)
3:00-5:20 – Simon Phillips Duo
5:30-8:00 – Elvis
This photo is from our 2015 Port Phillip Mussel Festival where Margie Lou and Allan Browne were a huge part of the event. The jazz community were very sad to lose Allan in June 2015, and we’ll miss him this year.
Paco Y Lola:
- Wok-cooked Drunken Mussels
- Turkish Mussel Bulgur Rice
- Wok tossed Mediterranean Mussels
- Freshly Steamed Mussels:
- Tomato & White Wine with fresh herbs, black olives and a hint of chilli
- Cream & Fennel with fresh dill and sliced fennel in a cream sauce
- Coconut Cream & Red Curry with rich coconut cream, Thai basil, spring onions in a zesty Thai red curry sauce.
- Piping hot seafood Paella – that they’re famous for
Aptus Oyster Bar:
- Fresh Oysters – single, half dozen or dozen:
- Bruny Island Oysters
- St Helen’s Oysters
- Smoky Bay Oysters
- Sydney Rock Oysters
- Cooked Oysters – single, half dozen or dozen:
- Kilpatrick Oysters
- Mornay Oysters
- QLD Cooked Tiger Prawns
- QLD Cooked Bug Tails
- Beer Battered Fish & Chips with St Ali special sauce
- Fried Mussels with Tomato & Chorizo with citrus mayo
- Salt & Pepper Squid with St Ali Bastard chilli sauce
- Singapore Chilli Mussels
- Vietnamese Mussels Steamed in Beer
- Lemongrass & Thai Coconut Curry Mussels
The Grosvenor Hotel:
- Soft Shell Crab Burger with Pickled Onions and Kewpie Mayo
- Grosvenor Hotel Cheeseburger: Thick beef pattie, double cheese, pickles and House ketchup.
- Battered Chips
- Greek Donuts to die for
Those Girls Iced Tea:
- Lime & Mint Mojito (non-alcoholic)
- Strawberry & Rosemary Iced Tea
- Homemade Lemonade
- Artisan Ice Cream for the whole family
Mussel Festival Bar:
- White Rabbit White Ale
- White Rabbit Pale Ale
- Pipsqueak / James Squire Cider
- Scotchman’s Hill – Hill range of Sparkling wine
- Scotchman’s Hill – Hill range of Red & White wine
- Red & White Sangria
- Aperol Spritz
During the Port Phillip Mussel Festival the Neff Market Kitchen will be holding some FREE mussel cooking demonstrations with Kathy Spurling from Neff.
Book in now or drop in on the day:
Sat 12 March, 12.00-12.25: Steamed Mussels in Fragrant Asian Broth (SOLD OUT)
Sat 12 March, 1.00-1.25: Grilled Mussels with Hazelnuts
Sat 12 March, 2.00-2.25: Vinaigrette of Mussels
Sat 12 March, 3.00-3.25: Japanese Style Stir-Fried Mussels
Sun 13 March, 12.00-12.25: Steamed Mussels in Fragrant Asian Broth (SOLD OUT)
Sun 13 March, 1.00-1.25: Grilled Mussels with Hazelnuts
Sun 13 March, 2.00-2.25: Vinaigrette of Mussels
Sun 13 March, 3.00-3.25: Japanese Style Stir-Fried Mussels
And the winner is……..
@gemmaelise posted this fantastic photo with the caption:
J’aime beaucoup les moules.
While you’re enjoying the Mussel Festival, post your happy snaps on Instagram for a chance to WIN a dinner for you and 3 friends at Claypots Evening Star!
All you need to do is:
1. Follow @southmelbournemarket
2. Tag #PPMusselfestival and #MFWF
3. Upload your photos by Tuesday 15 March 6pm.
You could WIN this delicious seafood extravaganza dinner thanks to Claypots (drinks included).
Below is our winning photo from 2015 by @sleeva!
Terms & Conditions:
- You can enter as many times as you like.
- You must follow @southmelbournemarket on Instagram.
- You must use hashtags: #PPMusselFestival & #MFWF.
- All entries will be reviewed by Event Manager and Market Manager.
- 10 best photos will be shortlisted, with the winner chosen by Port Phillip Mayor Bernadene Voss.
- Winning photo will be announced Thursday 24 March via Instagram.