The Market will be celebrating its official birthday (opened 1 May 1867) with our
150th BIRTHDAY BIG BBQ STREET PARTY
When: Saturday 6 May, 10am-10pm.
Price: Free entry, music and entertainment
Address: South Melbourne Market, Cecil Street
Getting there: Walk, drive or catch the 96 or 12 Tram to South Melbourne (more details).
Come along and join the Market community at our 150th Birthday Big BBQ Street Party. What better way to get together to wish the Market a Happy Birthday than one big family barbeque.
From barbequed prawns to sautéed squid, there’ll be flamin’ delicious food to suit every taste bud. We’ll have some of the region’s top chefs and restaurants taking part as well as our own South Melbourne Market restaurants Claypots Evening Star, Paco y Lola, Koy, Simply Spanish and Proper & Son.
Family-friendly music & entertainment will include:
- Roaming performers
- Jumping castle
- Giant games
- Kids face painting
- Kids craft
- Live music
- Butcher, Poulterer and Seafood trader cook-off
- Giant birthday cake
Have a smokin’ good time!
Food Stall & Bar Applications
Open: Friday 3 March.
Close: Friday 24 March.
Notified of the outcome of your application: Friday 7 April.
What are we looking for:
- As a community event, we favour vendors whose businesses are located within the City of Port Phillip.
- We will favour vendors who will be selling barbequed food, but also understand that the community will be after a range of food options.
- Due to the nature of the event we will favour vendors with experience at festivals and events where time is of the essence. We are looking for vendors who can provide quick service to keep queues to a minimum and high quality produce.
- We are looking for food carts, food trucks and marquee based vendors.
- We are also looking for a bar operator for the event.
- The event is being held on Saturday 6 May from 10am-10pm.
- Cecil Street will be closed for the event between York & Coventry Streets from 5am to midnight Saturday 6 May.
- Vendors can bump in from 6am and bump out by 11pm on Saturday.
- 3m x 3m marquees = $880 inc GST (marquee included).
- Food carts = $550 inc GST.
- Bar vendor = $2,750 inc GST.
What you will need:
- All vendors selling food will be required to register with Streatrader.
- The bar vendor will be required to apply for a Major Event liquor licence for the event.
- Stallholders will need to bring all their own equipment. No fit-out will be provided.
- Power is available, vendors will need to provide all extension leads and power boards.
- All electrical equipment must be tested and tagged by a suitably qualified person before being brought to the Market.
- We recommend all vendors bring your own lighting for the inside of your marquees for the evening trade as it will get dark around 5pm-6pm.
- Pre-book only. All stalls must be booked and paid in advance.
- There are no refunds for cancellations or non-attendance.
- Food vendors will be required to provide their Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency with their application.
- Successful food and beverage vendors will be required to register on Streatrader.
- No sub-licensing allowed.
- After your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed and payment will only be processed once the application is approved. If your application is not approved, payment will not be processed.
- You will be notified of the success of your application (approved or declined) in early April 2017.
- Stall selection is at the sole discretion of South Melbourne Market management.