If meat’s your thing at Christmas time, it’s worth ordering the best quality bird or pig from the experts. Choose from organic, free-range, smoked or glazed and don’t forget to ask your butcher about the provenance of the animal and how it was farmed.
The Market has over 60 brands, sizes and cuts of ham to choose from, and over 22 types of turkey. Plus we’ve included tips for storing, carving and serving below.
Take some time to chat to your favourite traders to find what you’re after.
The Organic Meat Specialists (T.O.M.S.)
Stall 30 – 9699 7926
Tom stocks authentic free-range and nitrate free ham, the only ones available in the market. All hams are preservative free:
- Nitrate free, free range leg ham on the bone – $39.90/kg
- Nitrate free boneless small ham – $37.90/kg
- Free range rare-breed pork, bone in leg roast – $29.90/kg
- Free range rare-breed pork boneless leg roast – $32.90/kg
- Free range rare-breed pork boneless loin roast – $39.90/kg
- Free range rare-breed pork in shoulder roast – $24.90/kg
- Organic free range chicken – $22.90kg
- Free range Milawa Duck – $22.90kg
- Organic free range turkey – $29.90kg
- Organic free range boned, rolled and stuffed turkey with sourdough, pork and herb stuffing – $90 each
Stall 16 – 9690 9470
Theo’s are exclusive stockists of Andrew’s Choice ham which has just won the best Christmas Boneless Leg Ham award 3 years in a row. They only use specially sourced free range pork and there will be tastings during December. They also sell San Marino, voted best ham on the bone – Christmas Ham Awards 2014.
- Andrew’s Choice boneless ham – $35/kg
- Andrew’s Choice ham on the bone – $19.99/kg
- Andrew’s Choice semi-boneless – $28.99/kg
- San Marino traditional ham on the bone – $19.99
- San Marino traditional ham semi-boneless – $28.99
- Bertocchi boneless ham – $12.99/kg
- Bertocchi semi-boneless ham – $12.99/kg
- Bertocchi double smoked ham – $28.99/kg
- Grandmother & Praga hams – $35.99/kg
Tony’s Meat Supplies
Stall 12 – 9690 7595 or 0411 142 619. Email: email@example.com
Tony’s Meats sell only Otway Pork that is naturally grown. All hams are made from hand picked pork legs or shoulders and are manufactured at Otway Pork. All hams are gluten free and hormone free.
- Leg ham – $21.99/kg
- Semi-boneless ham leg – $21.99/kg
- Nugget ham leg – $24.99/kg
- Boneless ham leg – $24.99/kg
- Triple smoked leg – $21.99/kg
- Semi-boneless shoulder ham – $21.99/kg
- Semi-boneless half ham – $21.99/kg
Emerald Hill Deli
Stall 23 – 0403 201 505
Emerald Hill Deli have the Gold medal winning Barkly Grandmother ham available:
- Grandmother ham – $28.95/kg
- Bomba ham – $24.95/kg (approx. 2kg piece)
- Fubbris ham of the bone – $16.95/kg
- Traditional ham no bone – $16.95/kg
- Roast turkey breast – $29.95/kg
- Rear roast beef – $25.00/kg
HAM SERVING, STORAGE AND CARVING TIPS
- 7-8kg serves up to 16 people
- 8-9kg serves up to 18 people
- 9-10kg serves up to 20 people
- 10kg+ serves over 20 people
Storage tips (courtesy of San Marino Smallgoods):
- Store in fridge at 4c or below.
- Leave ham in plastic wrap until ready to use.
- Discard plastic wrap prior to use.
- After carving, store remainder of ham in damp ‘ham bag’ which has been lightly moistened in 75/25 water / white vinegar solution.
- Refresh ‘ham bag’ with solution every 2-3 days to maximise shelf life.
- Please ensure ham is refrigerated as soon as possible after carving.
Carving tips (courtesy of San Marino Smallgoods):
- Place ham skin side up. Then run a small, sharp knife under the rind around the bottom (opposite end to hock) and each side of the ham to about halfway up towards the hock,peel the rind back.
- Run the tip of the knife around the bone, on the underside of the ham. Begin to slice on a slight angle down to the bone.
- Run your knife lengthways along the bone to remove slices. Continue to slice toward the hock.
- Continue slicing down to the bone, working your way around the ham. When you’ve reached about a third to the way up, you can remove the bone by making a few short cuts at the joint.
Stall 29 – 9699 2810
Free-range, freshly cut, hormone free, range of sizes. All rolls seasoned:
• Turkey whole – $13.95/kg
• Turkey buffet – $14.95/kg
• Seasoned turkey rolls with cranberry & chestnut – $27.95/kg
• Seasoned turkey rolls with apricot and macadamia – $27.95/kg
• Seasoned turkey rolls with spinach and pinenut – $27.95/kg
• Turkey fillets – $25.95/kg
• Turkey hind quarters – $13.50/kg
• Turkey breast mince – $23.80kg
Emerald Hill Poultry
Stall S3 – 0432 265 497
Turkeys are fresh and free range:
• Whole turkey – $13.95/kg (4-9/kg)
• Turkey Buffet – $14.50/kg (4-8/kg)
• Turkey Breast – $26.90/kg (1-4/kg)
• Turkey roll – $26.90/kg: Cranberry & chestnut, Apricot & macadamia, Traditional fruit
• Squab – $29.99/kg
• Goose – $39.99/kg