For those of us who live alone, it can be tempting to forgo cooking proper meals. But eating well is important at every age, perhaps even more so for older people.
In conjunction with Nutritional Professionals Australia, Aveo executive chef and regular participant at The Neff Market Kitchen Cooking School, John Casey has written Live Life Cook, a book which brings together health-focused, vibrant recipes, designed to meet the changing nutritional requirements of over 65s.
Along with the tips for healthy eating for seniors below, John has kindly offered us three of the delicious recipes from his book. Try baking his quick and easy Soda Bread as the base for an appetising breakfast or brunch; make Poached Salmon Salad as a light lunch or delicious entree and try this Tuscan twist on roast lamb for a weekend lunch (any leftovers can be used for sandwiches or toasties the next day).
John Casey’s tips for healthy eating for seniors
- Include foods from all the food groups every day*
- Try to eat a rainbow – enjoy different coloured fruits and vegetables daily
- Avoid losing weight without trying – it’s more difficult to gain it than to maintain it!
- Include at least three meals per day and healthy snacks if your appetite is small
- Milk, cheese and yoghurt are good sources of protein and excellent sources of calcium – have 3-4 serves per day
- Keep active to maintain your muscle. Include protein foods at every meal
- Try to get outside every day, even for 5-10 minutes to maintain your Vitamin D
*If you’re having trouble getting to the shops, remember that the Market and some individual traders offer various options for pick up or delivery.
- Our Order & Collect service allows customers to order by midday each Wednesday from participating traders and collect items from the York Street carpark each Thursday. Find out more here.
- Some traders are offering home delivery. Find out more here.