Just like the beach and barbeques, mangoes are an Australian summer staple. Bursting with nutritional value and flavour, they are enjoyed throughout the season – sticky fingers and all. But mangoes don’t just belong on a fruit platter, and there are plenty of recipes that will help you transform this versatile fruit into fresh summer dishes.
HOW TO CHOOSE A MANGO
While many people focus on colour, this is not the best indicator of ripeness. Instead, you should squeeze the mango slightly, as a ripe mango will be slightly soft to touch. You can also tell by the smell of a mango, as ripe ones will usually have a fruity aroma in their stem.
Have you ever bitten into a mango and thought it was slightly tangy? Well that may have been because of the variety you purchased. Different types of mangoes have different characteristics that affect the flavour and colour of the fruit.
- Calypso Mangoes are the most popular variety in Australia. It has a sweet aroma and a small seed, which means there is more firm, juicy fruit to enjoy. It’s the perfect addition to afresh summer salad or salsa. Click here to try our chicken tenderloins with mango salsa.
- Honey Gold Mangoes are larger in size, with a sweet centre. Its skin is gold all over and soft to touch. Due to its sweet rich flavour, Honey Gold mangoes will taste great in your summer cakes. Click here to try our almond and mango custard tart.
- Kensington Pride Mangoes (also known as the Bowen) are sweet and slightly tangy, with a rich, juicy flesh. It has yellow skin and can be identified by a subtle pink blush. It has a strong mango aroma and tastes great on a fruit platter.
HOW TO STORE A MANGO
As a rule of thumb, you should leave mangos that you plan on eating within 24 hours on the bench, while storing the rest of the mangoes in the fridge. This will help them stay fresher for longer and stop them from ripening prematurely.
Looking for some mango recipes to try this summer? Check out The NEFF Kitchen’s range of sweet and savoury dishes that hero the summer fruit:
- Almond and Mango Custard Tart
- Baked Snapper
- Mango and White Chocolate Lamingtons
- Chicken Tenderloins with Mango Salsa
For more tips and delicious recipes follow NEFF Home Appliances on Facebook.