This delicious Christmas pavlova recipe comes to us from our resident spice merchants, Gewürzhaus and is inspired by Ottolenghi’s pavlova in “Sweet” and is a Swiss meringue style pavlova.
Make sure you read tips and tricks on the Gewurzhaus blog before you start baking.
For the base:
166g egg whites (approx. 4 large eggs)
170g Caster Sugar
130g Coconut Sugar
1 tsp Gewürzhaus Cinnamon Ground
1/8 tsp Gewürzhaus Green Cardamom Seed Ground
For the cream:
1 ½ tbsp Gewürzhaus Cardamom Pistachio Sugar
1 ½ cups thickened cream1
½ tsp Gewürzhaus Rose Petal Powder
For the topping:
3 kiwis, peeled & cut into 0.5cm discs
1 mango, peeled & cut into 0.5cm discs off the cheeks
1 small tin of passionfruit in syrup
Gewürzhaus Cardamom Pistachio Sugar to sprinkle
1. Preheat oven to 100°C (fan-forced) & boil water in the kettle.
2. Draw a 25cm dia. circle on baking paper, place upside down on a baking tray. Set aside.
3. Separate egg whites & weigh into a very clean, dry bowl. Weigh in caster & coconut sugar.
4. Fill a saucepan with approx. 2-3 cups boiling water & place on LOW to MED heat on your stove. Select a saucepan that will allow the egg white bowl to sit on top of it, without touching the water.
5. Combine sugars & egg whites, & whisk by hand. Whisk gently until it reaches 60°C ( use a sugar thermometer)
6. Remove from heat (once all sugar crystals have dissolved). Add spice & whisk with an electric beater on MED. for approx. 5 mins, until mix is glossy, thick & stiff. Spread onto baking paper with a spatula (stay within the circle). The centre should be a bit lower than the outside.
7. Bake for 3 hrs, (open oven to let moisture escape occasionally). Leave in oven for 2 more hours with the door ajar.
8. Cream: beat cream with an electric mixer. Once it starts to thicken, beat in rose powder & sugar. Spread on top of pavlova evenly.
9. Fruit: layer kiwifruit, then mango, then pour the passionfruit over the top. Finish with a
sprinkle of pomegranate & Cardamom Pistachio sugar.
10. Serve immediately.