Celebrating its 150th Anniversary in 2017, South Melbourne Market is a treasured inner city landmark and a favourite amongst locals and visitors, as evidenced by over 4.5 million visitors per annum. It is the quintessential village market, a place where people come not only to purchase fresh food, but to meet, eat, drink, shop, discover, share and connect.
A strong and well-communicated Charter, Vision and Mission for the Market allows for a well defined framework to measure future success. The ongoing development and evolution of the Market is guided by a 2015-2020 Strategic Plan that outlines a number of exciting initiatives that will further enhance its standing and status within the community. The Market’s Special Committee of Council under s86 of the Local Government Act, comprises a total of 7 directors, comprising 3 independents, 3 Councillors and 1 council officer.
As part of a planned transition, the Market is seeking an Independent Committee Chair, with the following capabilities and attributes:
- have experience chairing a board or committee.
- be able to demonstrate a strong understanding of good governance practices including financial management, risk management and compliance matters.
- have strong strategic planning and management skills as well as experience with high level lobbying and advocacy.
- have an understanding of market and retail operations and preferably have some familiarity and understanding of South Melbourne Market and its role and function in the community.
- be a person with established business networks who can develop good working relationships and be able to work collaboratively with all stakeholders.
- be a competent public speaker and be able to represent the Committee in a range of high level forums (e.g. Council meetings, Tourism Victoria, State Government).
- preferably be a graduate member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
This role will enjoy the support of a strong committee, management, council, retailers and community.
For further information please contact:
Partner at Mars Partners
P: 03 9221 6161
Applications close Friday 29 July.