Why SO:ME Space?
SO:ME Space is a retail concept that brings together the best emerging designers in an innovative environment for the purpose of brand growth, experimentation and development.
The mix of brands at different developmental stages provides an opportunity for emerging designers to promote and spread their name. In addition, the residency of more established brands provides a learning experience for all involved, allowing such brands to experiment with retail store concepts in a constructive and dynamic environment.
SO:ME Space is a highly creative, contemporary and dynamic retail environment that gives designers the opportunity to test retail concepts and creative boundaries without the restrictive outlays of traditional rent.
The South Melbourne Market location is frequented by a range of creative consumers. The unique position and design of the retail space makes SO:ME Space a progressive project for every brand involved.
The concept profiles designers in an exciting retail concept which embraces design, sustainability and local fashion brands. SO:ME Space subtly tips the hat to South Melbourne (via the SO:ME title), and in doing so, makes the location central to the identity.
The space consists of larger and smaller brands across various product categories. Our four pop-up spaces are rotated regularly with the best emerging designers.
With over 4.7 million visitors through our doors each year, this is a great opportunity to experience the retail environment of the iconic, dynamic and much-loved South Melbourne Market.
Interested in a Pop-Up?
Please make sure you read the below before applying.
Current Pop-up Application Status
SO:ME Space is currently fully booked until July 2020. However, occasionally stalls become available unexpectedly, so there is the possibility that there will be an opening before this time.
- We favour stalls with locally designed or made fashion and lifestyle products. We seek to have an eclectic mix of stalls that are relevant to our target market of young, ethically aware and design-savvy shoppers. SO:ME Space is an opportunity for designers to test retail concepts and creative boundaries without restrictive outlays of traditional rent.
- No food or drink stalls will be accepted for SO:ME Space.
Layout & Size
- SO:ME Space pop-ups occupy a space of between 4m2 and 8m2.
- There are a total of four pop-ups.
Availability & Costs
- Pop-ups are available by the week, for a minimum of four and maximum of eight weeks. The rate for these spaces is $300 per week.
- Special festive season rates and conditions apply for the six-week period from the start of December until the middle of January. Stalls are $500 per week and must be booked for the entire six-week period (no shorter term stalls will be considered). This will include at least one Night Market date. Applications for the festive season open at the start of September and close at the end of September, with all applicants notified of whether they have been successful by mid-October.
- You must operate as per the hours of trading below.
Hours of Trading
You must adhere to the same trading hours as the general Market, but also Wednesday nights during the Night Market . If trading days and/or hours change, which often occurs around Easter and Christmas and some public holidays, you must open accordingly (this is non-negotiable). No compensation will be given if a trading day falls on a public holiday and the Market closes. We reserve the right to charge additional fees for additional trading days.
- Wednesday 8am–4pm
- Friday 8am–5pm
- Saturday and Sunday 8am–4pm
- Trading is a must during the Night Market
Continually failing to open on time and close on time will result in an early termination of your booking.
- All basic fixtures are provided. You are not permitted to bring your own fixtures without permission.
- Built in shelving and clothes rails.
- Lockable storage units.
- All stallholders will have access to 15Amp power. If you require more power, you will need to use your own power supply. Stall holders need to bring their own extension leads and power boards. All electrical equipment must be tested and tagged by a suitably qualified person before being brought to the pop-up.
- Pre-book only. All stalls must be booked and paid in advance.
- There are no refunds for cancellations or non-attendance.
- If you do not give 12 hours’ notice for not trading, opening late or closing early, you may incur a $100 charge for each day affected. You must receive written approval from Market management (SO:ME Space coordinator) for any alterations in trading hours.
- The Market reserves the right to relocate stalls for better fit.
- No sub-licensing allowed.
- Stall selection is at the sole discretion of South Melbourne Market management.
- Parking restrictions apply to all traders at the Market, including SO:ME Space traders, on trading days. No trader is allowed to park in the York Street car park, in any parking spaces adjacent to the Market (York Street & Coventry Street) or the upstairs car park.
- Stallholders must follow Market Rules.
Email South Melbourne Market or call 9209 6295.