South Melbourne Market is a local market, a community market, a village market.
The Charter for the Market will ensure we remain a community Market.
The Market Charter’s specific objectives are to:
a) position the Market as the premier Village Market in Victoria, one that is recognised as being vibrant, diverse and unique and that is sustainable for traders and the City of Port Phillip;
b) promote the Market and encourage its use by residents, visitors and the community; and
c) oversee the management and operation of the Market in accordance with the terms of this Charter and Council’s Strategic Plan, policies and programs.
To be known as Melbourne’s favourite market, a unique destination that celebrates local, is sustainable and inclusive, and a place that is trusted and loved by the community. We are the quintessential Village Market.
The South Melbourne Market will achieve our Vision by:
1. Being accessible and inclusive for the whole community.
2. Embracing and curating all that is local – including small businesses, product, designers and suppliers.
3. Remaining a loved, happy, quirky and experiential destination – full of moments of surprise and wonder.
4. Being a trusted destination for fresh, organic, free range and whole food.
5. Continuing to be environmentally and economically sustainable – a financially secure urban garden experience, living and breathing green.
The Market is aligned to the Council Plan and its six strategic directions for 2017-2027:
- We embrace difference and people belong.
- We are connected and it’s easy to move around.
- We have smart solutions for a sustainable future.
- We are growing and keeping our character.
- We thrive by harnessing creativity.
- Our commitment to you: A financially sustainable, high performing, well governed organisation that puts the community first.
We also work closely with the local community through:
- Supporting local charities and minority groups in the area such as Sacred Heart Mission.
- Providing educational opportunities for children and adults to learn about history, food, sustainability and cooking.
- Engaging with local businesses and joining hands to retain the vibrancy of the local South Melbourne/ Emerald Hill precinct.