South Melbourne Market is a local market, a community market, a village market.
The Charter for the Market will ensure we remain a community Market.
Its specific objectives are to:
1. Retain and enhance the distinctive features and characteristics of the Market.
2. Improve the physical condition and environmental performance of the Market buildings and associated infrastructure.
3. Attract new shoppers to the Market and retain existing customers, ensuring the Market is accessible to the entire Port Phillip community.
4. Enhance the visibility and accessibility of the Market for shoppers and enable them to find the Market readily, get to it easily and move around it comfortably.
5. Leave Market visitors with an enjoyable and memorable shopping and social experience by providing a vibrant atmosphere in a clean and safe retail market environment.
6. Attract and retain a diverse range of appropriate stalls that offer products and services that meet the needs and expectations of shoppers.
7. Operate the Market profitably and in a professional manner
To be known as Melbourne’s favourite market, a unique destination that celebrates local, is sustainable and inclusive, and a place that is trusted and loved by the community. We are the quintessential Village Market.
The South Melbourne Market will achieve our Vision by:
1. Being accessible and inclusive for the whole community.
2. Embracing and curating all that is local – including small businesses, product, designers and suppliers.
3. Remaining a loved, happy, quirky and experiential destination – full of moments of surprise and wonder.
4. Being a trusted destination for fresh, organic, free range and whole food.
5. Continuing to be environmentally and economically sustainable – a financially secure urban garden experience, living and breathing green.
The Market is aligned to the Council Plan and its six strategic directions for 2017-2027:
- We embrace difference and people belong.
- We are connected and it’s easy to move around.
- We have smart solutions for a sustainable future.
- We are growing and keeping our character.
- We thrive by harnessing creativity.
- Our commitment to you: A financially sustainable, high performing, well governed organisation that puts the community first.
We also work closely with the local community through:
- Supporting local charities and minority groups in the area such as Sacred Heart Mission.
- Providing educational opportunities for children and adults to learn about history, food, sustainability and cooking.
- Engaging with local businesses and joining hands to retain the vibrancy of the local South Melbourne/ Emerald Hill precinct.