Best tour ever with a very friendly and knowledgeable guide. The food was amazing and the stallholders friendly and know their product. Definitely coming back! – Leanne and Melva
Thank you for all you did to help me arrange this morning’s tour. All my friends were absolutely delighted… Huge thanks to the tour
guide for a wonderfully engaging manner and providing us with all sorts of facts, historical information, cooking tips and stories. We all left planning our next visit! – Denise
TO MARKET TO MARKET TOURS
Since 1867, South Melbourne Market has been a treasured inner city landmark and a favourite amongst locals and visitors. It’s a unique experience – a melting pot of real food, entertainment, creativity and culture. Discover all of this with a guided tour where you’ll sample the delights, meet specialist traders and have a Market adventure that is unrivalled and unforgettable.
Date: Every third Saturday of the month
Cost: $10 includes food samples and a Market bag
Please note: Limit of 4 tickets can be booked per person.
Before booking please make sure you have read our Terms & Conditions.
GUIDED SCHOOL TOURS
South Melbourne Market guided school tours are a fun, engaging way to help students gain information and develop understanding across a range of AUSVEL curriculum assessment criteria. Our experienced guides will provide students with a behind the scenes insight into the workings of the Market, introduce them to our stallholders and allow access to back of house areas not open to the public. The guided tours also include tastings so students can experience some of the fresh and exciting produce available at the Market.
Available for groups of 10 to 25 students, these tours are available for three different age groups:
- Lower Primary (F – 4)
- Upper Primary and Lower Secondary (5 – 8)
- Upper Secondary (9 – 10)
Tours can also be tailored to specific VCE subjects.
Included in Tour:
- Map and Market bag for each student
- Resource Kit
– Teacher information sheet (pre & post tour)
– Curriculum links
– Post tour discussion points for students
– Student learning tools
Year Prep – 4
Cost: 1 hour | $10 per student
Year 5 – 12
Cost: 1.5 hours | $13 per student
Students will learn about:
- The history of the Market
- How the Market is valued and supported by the local and wider community
- The Market’s sustainability practices
- Food production and the consumers’ role in this
- The benefits of seasonal, local, cultural and sustainable food
- Seasonal fruit
- Sample of organic produce
- Exotic/unusual produce (eg edible flowers, various seasonal mushrooms, herbs etc)
- Olive oils and dukkahs with bread (Years 5-12 only)
- Nuts and dried fruit* (eg local Tasmanian walnuts, Australian dried apricots etc) * Dried fruit only for Years F-4 students
- Sourdough bread or other specialty loaf (Years F-4 only)
- Deli meats (Years F-4 only)
- Local cheddar or other variety of cheese
SELF-GUIDED TOURS (YEAR 7 – 12)
For larger groups, or as an alternative to the guided tour, a free self-guided tour pack is available. The self-guided tour allows school groups to explore the market at their own pace. Self-guided tours do not include tastings and for safety reasons, students cannot access the back of house areas.
Prior to your visit, please discuss and/or role play with your students how to approach customers and stallholders in a friendly manner. Most traders are very willing to aid students in their search for learning. Please remind your students, however, that if someone is too busy and cannot answer their queries, then it is best to say ‘thanks anyway’ and move on to find someone else. A smile goes a long way in communicating.
If you would like a self-guided tour pack for your school, please complete the booking form making sure you indicate what date and time your school will be arriving so we can notify management and security staff. Please note that all student groups must be accompanied by at least one adult.
Private tours are available on all Market days for groups of 10-14 people.
Please contact the Market Office for more information.