Recipe from The Neff Market Kitchen Cooking School.
This is an easy sausage roll recipe, perfect to make with the kids!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, grated or chopped finely
- 1/2 large carrot, grated or chopped finely
- 100g pumpkin, grated or chopped finely- or other vegetables
- 600g beef mince
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 sheets prepared puff pastry or make your own using this Rough Puff recipe
- 1 egg, extra, beaten lightly
- prepared tomato sauce, extra, to serve, or make your own using this home made tomato sauce recipe.
Preheat oven to 220°C, or 210°C fan forced.
Heat oil in a large frying pan, add vegetables and saute until softened. Cool slightly.
Place vegetables, mince, bread crumbs, egg, tomato sauce or paste, parsley, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Use your hands to combine the mixture.
Cut pastry sheets in half lengthways. Place equal amounts of mixture lengthways along the centre of each pastry piece, brush edge with extra egg, roll sausage mixture into log. Then brush the top with extra egg. Cut into your desired size.
Place rolls onto a greased baking tray, bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
Serve sausage rolls hot or room temperature with tomato sauce.